Thursday 6 June 2013

Homeland Scores Home Run

I started watching Homeland because I'd run out of series to watch and I thought 'oh, another Americo-centric series oozing arrogance and perpetuating ill-informed ideas about people from other countries and cultures'.

It nods it's hat to the Israeli 3 part series 'Prisoners of War'.  I'd seen the first episode of the Israeli series and somehow had missed the other two episodes.  What I'd seen was fantastic, so I was expecting the Yankee homage to end up a part measure of the original.  Not only does Homeland apply a respectful adaptation, it fleshes out the story in delicious detail (there are two series with a third to be screened soon) and surprises with unexpected twists and turns.  I was not only pleasantly surprised, I was enthralled, addicted and astonished at this amazing series.



Nick Brody played by Damian Lewis


The basic plot (I promise no big or important spoilers to follow) is two United States soldiers were captured and held by rebel forces, Al Qaeda, and we focus on Nick Brody (above), who is found and returned to the U.S.  An enthusiastic and unorthodox CIA Analyst Carrie Mathison (below) suspects something is amiss and bends rules galore to try and get to the truth.  Carrie can get a bit annoying but I think because of her predisposed nature (ooh!) it is something that comes with the territory.  I also think they portray and deal with mental illness in a realistic and frank fashion.

Carrie Mathison aka Claire Danes

No comments:

Post a Comment